In this post, CivicMic shares information about the recently mailed Fruitvale BID petitions required for the renewal of the Fruitvale Property Business Improvement District ("District") that currently funds maintenance, operations, and services within the boundaries of the Fruitvale Business Improvement District ("Fruitvale BID"). The process of filling out, signing, and returning the Fruitvale BID petitions is a requirement for the renewal and continuation of the valuable services being provided to businesses and members of the community.
The petitions were mailed the week of February 22nd to property owners within the proposed boundary of the Fruitvale BID asking for their support in renewing the District. If property owners who will pay more than 30% of the total proposed assessment are in-favor of the renewal, the City Council may initiate proceedings for renewal. The Unity Council has requested that the Fruitvale BID petitions be returned to them by April 30th. After the City initiates proceedings for renewal, assessment ballots will be mailed to property owners within the District, and the City will hold a public hearing on the matter at a later date. At the public hearing, the returned assessment ballots will be tabulated, and if property owners representing more than 50% of the proposed assessment on the returned ballots are in-favor, the City can officially renew the District for ten more years. As has been the case for the past 10 years, the renewal of the District will extend and update the assessment charge that appears on the property tax bill for another ten-year term.
- The District is a type of benefit assessment district. Click here to learn about how benefit assessment districts work.
- Click here to learn about the services provided by the Fruitvale BID.
- Click here to watch the video and read the slides for the virtual meeting held on January 7, 2021.
- Click here to learn about the services to be provided by the District, budget, and a full breakdown of the assessment amount for each parcel within the boundaries of the Fruitvale BID.
- Click here for a map of the District boundaries, find your property, and click on it to view the new assessment amount.
Sample of the Fruitvale BID Petitions
- Do you need to request replacement Fruitvale BID petitions?
- Do you have your petition filled out, signed, and ready but prefer it be picked up rather than returning it via mail?
>>>Contact Maria L. Sanchez of The Unity Council at mlsanchez@UnityCouncil.org or (510) 535-6912.
Please fill out, sign, and return your petition today to ensure the continuance of the maintenance and services provided to your community! Return petitions by April 30th to:
The Unity Council
Attn: Tiffany Lacsado
1900 Fruitvale Avenue, Suite 2A
Oakland, CA 94601
Please use the "Share this:" buttons below to share this post with other stakeholders. Your participation is very important.